March 29, 2010

Big Boy Bed and a little bubbles

Over the last 2 years, we have had a very hard time getting Oden to sleep in his own bed. It's safe to say that he pretty much always has slept in our bed. Occasionally we would let him fall asleep in our bed, then transfer him to his bed/crib with hopes he would sleep through the night. After uncountable failed attempts with that method, and numerous attempts at implementing other routines, there was a point about 2 months ago where we just gave up. He was in our bed, and neither Jess nor I had the energy to try and change it. Then we realized, soon there would be 4 of us in one queen sized bed if we continued down this road. Bravely, Jess decided about two weeks ago to start transitioning Oden into his room. Jess made accommodations for himself by bringing in the TV/DVD player (he can't sleep without the background noice/light). I swore that I would not bring a TV into my kids rooms until...... well never! I really don't see the need for it. In this situation, when Jess was going to be completely uncomfortable during this new process, how could I say no? We pulled out the futon in Oden's room and that is where Jess and Oden have been sleeping up until 3 nights ago. This is the most uncomfortable futon you will ever come into contact with. It was very inexpensive, and we definitely got what we paid for. I would compare it to sleeping on a wooden board padded with paper towels. I think sleeping on the floor might have been more comfortable for them both. I do commend Jess for sleeping there so so long, I know I would not have been able to handle it. One day Oden's auntie Olivia was over and I was telling her the story when she mentioned that there were two twin beds in the basement at The Hogan house, and we could probably have one. Sweet! So Jess made arrangements with Papa Joe and Grandma Honey, and the bed was delivered with love this past Friday. It is perfect, and it looks great in the room! So this was the first weekend that Oden and Jess slept in a 'big boy bed'! I had planned on picking up some cheap sheets and a blanket for the bed over the weekend, as the sheets they were using we borrowed. While Jess and I were working on Saturday I received a call from Papa Joe and Grandma Honey (who were watching Oden). They asked what my plans were for blankets and stuff because they were on a field trip at Target and spotted some Thomas bedding. I told Grandma Honey (Laura) I had planned on getting something over the weekend but they were more than welcome to give me a head start, if they wanted to. When we all arrived home a few hours later, I was completely surprised when Jess started unloading the car and the entire Thomas bed set. Oden was attached to it immediately! He wouldn't lay down for his nap until we took it ALL out of the packages and piled it on top of him! From there, it was quite a task getting everything washed. Oden freaked out anytime and piece of the set was out of sight! After a few wash loads, it was time to put everything on the new bed. I have one word for the event....priceless. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. It started with the pillowcase on the pillow. I didn't witness this part, but Jess says he was shaking with excitement. Then with the sheets and the blankets, he went into periods of OOOH's and AAAHHH's, followed by hysterical laughter. It was so fun to watch. Hopefully this new bed with Thomas and Friends will encourage Oden to stay in it. We are now working on phasing Jess out of there, but I think we are headed in the right direction! I just wanted to thank Joe and Laura for all of their help with the bed, and the bedding. And generally for their kindness and generosity. We all appreciate it!! Enjoy the pictures and videos of this momentous occasion :)



That's one happy boy!




Just leave me alone already, I'm ready for bed!!

I love the end when he;s jumping and saying, "Tommy Bed!" at the same time

We made a pit stop on Sunday and Papa and Odee got to play with some bubbles.


This video is just so dang cute!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute!! The room Chaela is in was a guest room, so when she refused to sleep in her toddler bed (just our crib with one side off) we started letting her sleep in the big bed. She does ok, but I think she knows something is changing in our house, because the past few weeks she has been impossible to put to bed. Urgh.

So cute with the bubbles, too! I've never met a two year old who didn't LOVE bubbles.